My name is Francis Cassidy and I originally hail from Donegal on the north-west coast of Ireland.
In early 2013, after seven years working as an electronic engineer, in both Ireland and Spain, I realised that there were better ways to spend my days than to be stuck in an enclosed cubicle 8 hours+ per day in front of a computer dying a slow death over the next 30-40 years. I sold my worldly possesions other than my photography gear and my hiking boots and bought a one way ticket to Helsinki, Finland and hit the road. My aim was to arrive to Asia overland and explore and thus began this blog.
I spent two years exploring Asia before returning to Europe in March 2015. Most of that excitment is detailed in the blog. Since returning I have lived for periods in Ireland and Italy, before recently moving back to Spain again.
I currently reside in rural western Spain near the Portuguese border where I teach English. I will be here until June 2017 and as of yet there is no plan beyond that. Please feel free to get in touch with any recomendations for a place that can become my next home! In the meantime this blog will contain some random meanderings of that which catches my eye and perhaps an occasional photo!
Please feel free to contact me. I love hearing from readers!Check out my now page to see what I'm up to right now....
More About Me
Favorite Places / Foods / Gadgets / Humans
- Favorite City - Kathmandu
- Favorite Country - Nepal
- Country I most recommend travelling too - India Contact me and I'll tell you my story!
- Favorite Cuisine - Korean
- My most favoritest humans 😉 - Derek Sivers, Peter Sage, Dave Asprey, Tim Ferriss
- The best sub €100 purchase that most positively affected my life - My aeropress - It comes everywhere with me
Some things I believe that many people may think crazy
- The Irish national anthem should be Songs of Love by The Divine Comedy - the most wonderful lyrics coupled with it being the Fr. Ted theme song that united a generation. Imagine all the positive emotions with 50,000 people belting out the Fr. Ted theme in the Aviva before a match as oppossed to murmuring lyrics of a song 90% don't understand...
- Psychedelics should not be illegal,
although I've never taken one....
- At school, every child should learn how to meditate before they learn Pythagoras' theorem
- You shouldn't watch the news or read newspapers
- Any place where a fixed speed camera exists, the most obedient drivers should be rewarded with a small percentage of the monthly takings in fines, then publicly acknowledged. Positive reinforcement may rewire peoples brains when it comes to speeding.
- In 90%+ of cases, getting fired from a job is truly the best thing that could ever happen to you.
Quotes I Like
- Someday is a disease that will take your dreams to the grave with you
- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself therefore all progress depends on the Unreasonable Man - George Bernard Shaw
- The quality of your life is a direct reflection of the expectations of your peer group - Peter Sage
- At each crossway on the road that leads to the future, each progressive spirit is opposed by a thousand men assigned to gaurd the past - Maurice Maeterlinck, Belgium poet
- So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man’s living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun. - Chris McCandless